Parental Relocation

Parental Relocation

What happens if one parent wants to move out of state?

One of the realities of modern society is that parents often desire to relocate.

This is a particularly delicate issue when faced by divorced couples who have a Custody Order or Parenting Plan regarding their children.

Commonly, the distance that one parent desires to move would make the existing Order unreasonable to follow.

Washington dictates what procedures must be followed when a parent is attempting to move, or conversely, attempting to block the move of the other parent.

The parent who does not have the majority of residential time often seeks our services to try to stop the intended relocation of the other parent, or to assist in negotiating or litigating a new reasonable Parenting Plan.

However, a parent who has the majority of residential time with their children may need our assistance in following the correct procedure to allow the move to happen.

Goldberg Jones recognizes the impact that relocation can have on the most important thing… time with your children. We are equipped to look after your concerns and try to maximize the situation within the constraints of Washington’s laws regarding relocation.

Related Reading: Parenting Plans And Relocation
Related Reading: Jurisdiction: Where You File For Divorce Matters
Related Reading: My Ex Is Denying Court Ordered Visitation

Have Questions About Divorce?

To Get your Phone Questions Answered at No Charge!
Free Case Review Attorney Profiles (206) 448-1010