rack of color pencils

Divorce After Years Of Separation

Goldberg Jones Divorce, Goldberg Jones Radio, Legal Separation Leave a Comment

If a marriage doesn’t work, many couples opt for divorce. At the same time, instead of making things official, other couples choose to separate and live apart. This often goes on for years. But what happens down the road when you eventually decide to divorce? How does this separation impact the process?

One of our managing partners, Rick Jones, makes regular monthly appearances on the Danny Bonaduce and Sarah Morning Show on KZOK, where he addresses family law questions from listeners. A recent caller has been separated from his wife for more than a decade. In fact, she left the country entirely. He wants to know what he needs to do in order to end his marriage once and for all and to do it the right way.

Check out the answer below:

Caller: “Me and my wife, we’ve been separated for eleven years. She moved back to Canada, and I wanted to know how I can get divorced legally. What do I do?”

Rick: “Were you guys married while in Washington? Did you live together here?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Rick: “The good news is Washington still has jurisdiction. So you can file the case here. If the two of you are still cordial, you can also do it on an uncontested basis, where you have papers drawn up, she signs the papers and you’re done in 90 days in fairly rapid fashion.

“If for any reason you are not able to get in contact with her, there’s still a way to do it, which is, you file the case here, you get authorization from the court for alternate service, and you can still get it done. So you’ll be alright.”

Danny: “I got the end note of that as,You’re going to be alright.’ I love it when that happens.”

Related Reading: What You Need to Know About Legal Separation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *